Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Number 86!!

Go Josh! He was so thrilled to finally get his jersey-- His first PeeWee Game is Saturday night!!! GO PANTHERS! GO #86!!

I think he has the coolest # - it just struck me... the term "to 86 something" This could be such a cool Football theme. Josh's position is that of Defensive Lineman! He is my big 76 pound boy!
THE NUMBER "86"...
In science

86 is the atomic number of radon. There are 86 metals on the modern periodic table.

In American English, the number 86 used as a verb, to "eighty-six," means to "ignore" or "get rid of". The first recorded usage of this term occurs in the mid-1930s. There are many theories of the origin of this usage, most pertain either to death or to prohibition.

One of the explanations pertaining to death is the distance of eighty miles out and six feet under meaning when a person who is to be killed by the mafia is forced to dig his own grave many miles away from civilization; or the possibility of a simple variation of the slang term deep six, which has identical meaning, and is simply meant to describe the approximate depth of water (6 fathoms, 11 meters) needed for a burial at sea. The term came into popular use among soldiers and veterans to describe missing soldiers as 86'd. Rather than describe buddies missing in action, it was slang to describe the MIA as being AWOL, therefore violating UCMJ Sub Chapter X Article 86. The public outdoor observatory of the Empire State Building was on the 86th floor; the site of more than 30 suicides. Another origin related to the Empire State Building is the fact that all the elevators stop at the 86th floor. Hence, everyone had to leave. The building opened in 1931, apparently a few years before the term became popular.

Of the explanations pertaining to prohibition, one is a reference to Article 86 of the New York state liquor code which defines the circumstances in which a bar patron should be refused service or "86ed". Others have suggested that this usage originated from the famous Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City, as item number 86 on their menu, their house steak, often ran out during the 19th century. However, there is no recorded usage of this term in the nineteenth century. Yet another explanation is that Chumley's, which was a famous 1900s New York speakeasy, is located at 86 Bedford Street. During Prohibition, an entrance through an interior adjoining courtyard was used, as it provided privacy and discretion for customers. As was a New York tradition, the cops were on the payroll of the bar and would give a ring to the bar that they were coming for a raid. The bartender would then give the command "86 everybody!", which meant that everyone should hightail it out the 86 Bedford entrance because the cops were coming in through the courtyard door.

ANYWAYS... Go Panthers #86!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

Andrea "The H family" said...

Oh good gracious girl! I feel sorry for Joshua's opponents. They might be 86'd!! WHEW! GO JOSH! He's so handsome and big boy now..I'm sad. I love his number!

Penny said...

I am over the top excited about Josh playing football. Please Please e-mail me his schedule. I will get my big Josh and come see a few of Little Josh's Games. Also e-mail a pic of Josh in his Football Uniform. I want to blog about him. I hesitated putting up my little football stadium this year because of the Arkansas Mess (you know what I mean here.) Since I am no longer a Football Mom....cry, mad all the emotions of a Retired Football Mom. I can cheer for Josh. I even have my Red PomPom from MHS. I had it for 4 years. OK enough of that. Congrats to Josh. He will be a BIG BAD A#$ Lineman.

EO said...

Oh my goodness, love the explanation of 86. I think Josh will be "86ing" those offensive linemen!

Penny said...

How did the game go? Big plays, the scores at each quarter and the big WIN I hope. If not a big WIN, blog how great Josh was and how the team will rally around their STAR PLAYER NEXT WEEK.

Penny said...

GO #86

Penny said...

Houston we have a problem!!! Football Mom Deb is not Blogging the important Football Stuff. I see that I will have to definitely come to a game so I can Coach the NEWBIE FOOTBALL MOM on her DUTIES.....

The Waters Family said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! LOL I will blog tonite after his practice fo sho! LOL

Krista said...

WHERE IS THE UPDATE!!! What happened to the football mom???

Penny said...

No Pressure.....