Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Someone "Famous"



The other day Dave came home from work and said... "Guess who I met today?" He was so giddy and beaming as he told me who he met-- the Detective who was handcuffed to Lee Harvey Oswald.
Dave said that the Detective told Oswald, "If someone shoots at you, I hope they are as good a shot as you are Lee!"
The following is an excerpt from an email Dave sent me with the above pictures attached. Just thought I'd share--
This is a photo of me and the Dallas P.D. Detective
that investigated the JFK assassination and was
handcuffed to Oswald when Jack Ruby shot him. His
name is Det. Jim Leavelle ret. Homicide DPD. I got to
speak with him at length, he's the most knowledgeable
person I have ever met regarding the JFK assassination.
He is in his 80's but still sharp as a tack. He's
the Detective in that Pulitzer prize winning photo of
Oswald being shot. He's wearing a light colored suit
and a cowboy hat.

6 comments:

Penny said...

That's exciting. Did he write a book? I've heard his name before somewhere. We had this guy speak at my Rotary Club a few years back that might be where I've heard his name before. Wonder if it was him.

Penny said...

This is funny. I was telling Judge about Dave's meeting and Judge said I will one up you on that. He then goes in his office and brings out this picture, the same one posted on your blog of the shooting and Mr. Leavelle had autographed it for him. That picture had won a pulizer prize.

EO said...

Wow Deb, great story! That's pretty interesting, how they used to handcuff themselves to the criminals. I don't think they do that anymore??

That is so interesting!

Andrea "The H family" said...

that's amazing deb!! Unbelievable actually. What a great blog entry! A memory to remember for sure!!

Lisa Allen said...

Hey Deb long time no comment for me, I am just getting back into the swing of things and just thought I would check in on you...hows the diet going? Mine was completely put on hold in Asia let me tell you. I will be going back in next week to weigh but at this point I am petrified to even look at the scale. It looks like your doing pretty good though, holla at me....

Penny said...

Hey Deb. You getting ready for Turkey Day? I have if easy this year. Only making the Dressing and going to Roma and Colleen's. Yipeee. I'm decorating for Christmas when I get home Thursday.